1. She doesn’t give up easily. A girl who likes to fix people, doesn’t stop trying and she will not quit you if she loves you. She doesn’t give up on people because they erred in some way and you’re no exception.
2. She sees the best in you. She always looks beyond the superficialities, she looks for depth and meaning in you and your life and she will always see the best in you and your true potential even if you can’t see it yourself.
3. She will never stop trying to fix herself too. She’s not only interested in fixing others, she knows that she’s still a work in progress too, and she will always try to be better than who she was yesterday and fix her own problems first.
4. She doesn’t lose hope. No matter how many people tell her that she can’t fix people, that people can only fix themselves — she knows that everyone needs help sometimes, even if they don’t admit it, and she will not let anyone discourage her from trying to help someone who is broken.
5. She will heal your brokenness. Because she knows what it feels like to be broken, she will do everything she could to try to heal your broken heart. She’s a fixer because she was once broken and she knows what to do to fix someone’s heart.
6. She’s not afraid of your dark side. This is her territory, this is when she gets to work and this is what she loves the most. The dark and twisted sides, the sides of pain and heartbreak and the sides that you wish to hide from the world. She likes your dark side — she sees the light in it.
7. She likes your imperfections. In fact, she will love you even more for your imperfections. She will tell you how your imperfections make you who you are and how they make you stronger and more beautiful. She will make your flaws look flawless.
8. She’s forgiving. She knows that forgiveness is strength and she knows that people always come around, she chooses to see people for their hearts not their actions and she will forgive you most of the time, even if you’re not sorry.
9. She doesn’t see you as a project. Contrary to what people think, she will not leave you after she fixes you, she doesn’t see you as another case in her book. She tries to fix you because she loves you, because she wants you to the best person you could be, she wants to see you happy and she doesn’t want you to keep living with your brokenness. She loves you enough to let you fix her too.
10. She also wants to fix the world. A girl who likes to fix people wants to be able to fix as many people as possible. Her vision is not only limited to your relationship, she wants to help the world somehow — her kindness, determination and generosity will inspire be to do the same.
Rania Naim is a poet and author of the new book All The Words I Should Have Said, available here.